1 someone who cooks food
2 English navigator who claimed the east coast of Australia for Britain and discovered several Pacific islands (1728-1779) [syn: James Cook, Captain Cook, Captain James Cook]
1 prepare a hot meal; "My husband doesn't cook"
2 prepare for eating by applying heat; "Cook me dinner, please"; "can you make me an omelette?"; "fix breakfast for the guests, please" [syn: fix, ready, make, prepare]
3 transform and make suitable for consumption by heating; "These potatoes have to cook for 20 minutes"
4 transform by heating; "The apothecary cooked the medicinal mixture in a big iron kettle"
5 fake or falsify; "Fudge the figures"; "cook the books"; "falsify the data" [syn: fudge, manipulate, fake, falsify, wangle, misrepresent]
Cook may refer to:
- Cook (surname), a family name (and a list of people with that name)
- Cook (software), a program for directing compilation
- The Cook, a 1918 film starring Fatty Arbuckle and Buster Keaton
- Cook Records, a record label
- COOK Trading, a UK manufacturer and retailer of frozen ready meals
- Cook Group, a manufacturer of medical devices
- Cook (crater), a lunar crater
- Cook or Live in USA, an album by Premiata Forneria Marconi
- Cook, an an unintended solution that spoils a chess problem
- Cook's Champagne, a sparkling wine made by Constellation Brands in the United States
- Cook, South Australia, Australia
- Cook, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Cook Island, New South Wales, Australia
- Division of Cook, an Australian House of Representatives electoral district
- Electoral district of Cook, a Queensland Legislative Assembly electoral district
- Aoraki/Mount Cook, New Zealand
- Cook Islands, New Zealand
- Cook Island, South Sandwich Islands, UK
- Cook, Minnesota, U.S.
- Cook County, Illinois, U.S.
cook in Catalan: Cook
cook in German: Cook
cook in Spanish: Cook
cook in French: Cook
cook in Italian: Cook
cook in Hebrew: קוק
cook in Japanese: クック
cook in Dutch: Cook
cook in Polish: Cook
cook in Romanian: Cook (dezambiguizare)
cook in Swedish: Cook
cook in Volapük: Cook
KO, abigail, adulterate, amah, au pair girl, ayah, bake, baker, ball up, barbecue, baste, be in heat, betweenmaid, biddy, blanch, blaze, bloom, boil, bollix, bollix up, braise, brew, broil, brown, bugger, bugger up, burn, chafe, chambermaid, chaperon, chef, chef de cuisine, chief cook, choke, coddle, combust, companion, culinarian, culinary artist, curry, defeat, devil, dish, do, do for, do in, do to perfection, doctor, duenna, electric-heat, fake, femme de chambre, fille de chambre, fire, fire up, fix, flame, flame up, flare, flare up, flicker, flush, foment, foul up, fricassee, frizz, frizzle, fry, fry cook, gas-heat, gasp, gentlewoman, girl, glow, griddle, grill, gum up, handmaid, handmaiden, hash up, heat, hired girl, hot, hot up, hot-air-heat, hot-water-heat, housemaid, incandesce, juggle, kitchener, kitchenmaid, knock out, lady-help, lady-in-waiting, live-in maid, live-out maid, load, louse up, maid, maidservant, manipulate, melt, mess up, muck up, mull, nursemaid, oven-bake, overheat, pack, pan, pan-broil, pant, parboil, parch, parlormaid, pastry chef, pastrycook, plant, play hell with, play hob with, poach, preheat, prepare, prepare food, queer, radiate heat, recook, reheat, retouch, rig, roast, salt, saute, scald, scallop, scorch, screw up, scullery maid, scuttle, sear, seethe, servant girl, servitress, settle, shimmer with heat, shirr, shoot down, short-order cook, simmer, sink, smolder, smother, snafu, snarl up, sophisticate, soubrette, spark, stack, steam, stew, stifle, stir-fry, stoke up, suffocate, superheat, sweat, swelter, tamper with, tepefy, toast, torpedo, tweeny, undo, upstairs maid, waiting maid, warm, warm over, warm up, wench